Sunday, December 7, 2008

Politics, Peace and Conflict




The effects of war on soldiers, both psychological and physical, are devastating. Taking a personal approach to the theme of the class this semester, I looked at the effects of war on a friend of mine who has served in Iraq and now is back in Iraq again. As business people are walking through a crosswalk in the print, the soldier is running with his gun through the crowd. On return from Iraq, the soldier still perceives situations differently from all other people, and is "on guard" running through the crosswalk.

2 comments:

phantompanther said...

I don't think I know you- but I graduated from UWL and Joel's print shop a couple years ago--
I think that your potential as a printmaker is limitless- just in what I have seen on your blog and the social series blog is amazing! You have a knack for showing your hand without putting a handprint in the ink- (hope you get my jist) I am loving the expressive nature of line movement throughout all your prints-- I am just curious as to how big each of these prints are? Personally, I think that your work would be doubly shocking and maybe more textually invasive to the viewer if you expanded your ideas and worked on huge plates-- the amount of tactile emotions that you could gather through looking at your images that large would be so cool to see. wish I could see your stuff in person. Do you etch heavily? Is there a lot of embossement on your intaglios? Cuz that would be kick ass! And as for your lithos-- man I wish there were bigger stones--
keep up the great work and I'll check back sometime--

Sarah said...

Wow. Thanks for the comment. To answer your question, the size of the soldier prints are pretty small, like 5'' by 5'', however the other prints are about 8'' by 11''. The soldier prints are my latest and after working smaller, I found that I definitely like working larger. As for the etches, I've done 18 hour and 24 hour line etches, and anywhere from 10 to 24 hours for the aquatint etch which usually left some pretty cool embossment from the both the lines and aquatint.
Joel has shown me a few of your prints, which are really inspiring, but question for you: how did you achieve the edges of your black and white figural prints?